Retweeting is a great way of sharing other people's stuff with your network, but you obviously want people to retweet your posts too! This will mean more people are exposed to your posts, and ultimately will encourage people to follow you. What's the secret to getting your posts retweeted?
1. Publish great content - No one is really bothered what you had for breakfast, or what your plans in the week are, but people do want great videos, interesting pictures, compelling stories, funny jokes, breaking news and celebrity gossip. Posting good tweets with rich content is the first way of getting people to RT your stuff. Use a URL Shortener like nowtweet.it to post your content into Twitter so your long links fit into the 140 character limit for posts.
2. Break the news - People nowadays say newspapers no longer break the news. This is true to some extent as Twitter is a great place for news to filter through. Break news of new events and news that come your way as fast as you can. If it's shocking news your followers like, it's likely they will RT you if they want to share the latest news with their followers.
3. RT other people - Lead by example, and start retweeting other posts you like. If they post some good content and you want to show the appreciation it deserves, RT it and its likely they will notice and remember the favour you have done, resulting in them possibly retweeting your posts in the future.
4. Innovate - Try new ways of interacting with people. You can be creative and share mini-games, surveys, competition links or anything that will encourage clicks. This can be classed as rich content and will encourage people to get their friends involved. Use nowtweet.it to trim down the links for posts of this type, as they're usually pretty long and untidy.
5. Show that you care - Post regularly and stick to a cause, don't just post completely random stuff, show your interests and why people should follow you. This will develop interest amongst your followers and want them to support and RT your posts. Showing that you value your account and the information you share is a great way to encourage loyalty and build a relationship.
6. Ask - It sounds obvious, but a lot of the time if you don't ask, then you don't get. Occasionally ask people to RT your stuff. This can be in the post, or on a separate tweet. Don't hassle people, but do tell people you are keen on them sharing your posts!
7. Keep your tweets tidy - Finally, make sure your tweets are good to look at and tidy. People don't want to RT scruffy and unreadable tweets, as it looks bad on them. Use good language, punctuation and keep your tweets short and sweet. Use nowtweet.it to tidy up long links for your content so your tweets look nice and presentable.
I hope this helps you on the road to RT success. Don't forget tools such as nowtweet.it are really simple ways to get your content into Twitter posts looking tidy and succinct, ready to be retweeted. Try it now if you haven't already!